Thursday 12 December 2013

New Zealand Report: Depot Eatery, Auckland

Instagram: @joicejlau

Today I return to writing my NZ dining series with a review of Depot Eatery, already an Auckland favourite just two years after it was opened in 2011 by Al Brown. Having seen the rave reviews of Depot everywhere, it quickly made my shortlist of places to try. Sure enough, it didn't disappoint - my mum and I loved it so much that we ended up eating here twice during our long weekend getaway.

Depot is buzzing on any given night and its popularity is evident just by looking at the happy crowd inside and the people waiting outside for a table. We were lucky to get seats fairly quickly on both visits, perhaps due to our party size being just two. Seating throughout is bar-style and relaxed, with elevated bar chairs and tables, and they've thoughtfully included bag hooks next to most seats. There is also seating at the bar itself, where you can admire the booze collection on the racks above you while ordering your tipple and food from the super friendly bartenders.


The menu, presented to us by our waitress as a large folded-up sheet of paper in keeping with the chilled-out vibe of Depot (and no doubt because they constantly rotate their offerings), is divided into sections for oysters, small share plates, large share plates, sides, and drinks. Both nights, we ordered a jug of NZ cider to sip as we deliberated on our choices.

Seafood-lovers will be right at home here. My mum started with a beautifully presented tasting plate of three NZ oysters, each with contrasting flavours. Depot's oyster selection is carefully edited and changes almost daily depending on the best available stock, and the menu includes tasting notes. Since my visit, they've also added a daily clam selection.

Oyster tasting plate
On our second visit, my mum must have been very hungry, because after testing out the squid ink pasta, she singlehandedly devoured a plate of three hapuka sliders. She has an appetite to be reckoned with! And why not, with such tasty food. She had nothing but good things to say about these two dishes:

Squid ink linguine & Cloudy Bay clams with hand-cut pasta, ficelle, chorizo and sauv blanc sauce

Hapuka sliders - Depot's sliders seem to be wildly popular with diners!
At the time of my visits, there wasn't really a large selection for vegetarians, but there was enough. All the side plates were vegetarian, as was one of the small plates, but none of the large plates. That said, I recently saw a large plate vegetarian option pop up on their ever-changing menu, so you never know.

Baked corn cobs with a mixed cheese and spices coating (L) and potato skins with Green Park gouda cheese and porcini salt



Lastly, dessert. I think Depot should make it more obvious that they in fact have a dessert menu! I didn't even realise on my first visit because it isn't mentioned anywhere on the main menu, in the restaurant or on their website - I only thought to ask for it on my second visit when I noticed the guy next to us doing so. Here's the "Eton Mess" which I tried, which was vanilla ice cream with a dash of berry sauce, fresh strawberries and meringues - well made as expected and really delicious, but in my opinion, not quite as creative as their savoury options as this is a pretty standard English dessert:


...That said, that's just me being picky. With well-considered use of ingredients, very reasonable prices for the standard of the food, and a great ambience in an ultra-cool, modern space, Depot is absolutely deserving of its popularity and accolades. The quality of its work is indisputable. I spent two truly memorable evenings here and I only wish I could have packed it into my suitcase to take home to Melbourne!

Rating: A+
Vegetarian Friendliness: 6/10
Price Range: $$
 
Depot Eatery
86 Federal St, Auckland CBD (opposite the Sky Tower)
New Zealand 1010

(Ph): 09 363 7048
(W): www.eatatdepot.co.nz
 
Depot on Urbanspoon

...........

Enjoyed this post? Let's stay in touch:
 


Instagram: @joicejlau

No comments:

Post a Comment