Saturday 19 October 2013

From the Vegicurean's Bar: Maija's Cranberry Bubbly

Instagram: @joicejlau

Phew! So much has been going on for me lately that I've barely had time to blog, but in honour of this being Saturday night, I'll steal a moment just to share one of my favourite cocktails. Aside from food reviewing and cooking, mixing drinks is also one of my hobbies and similarly, I love digging up unique recipes to try out...

If you've already read my beetroot salad post, you may have noticed me reminiscing over the time I've spent in Finland. One of my favourite aspects of Finnish culture has got to be Finnish design, be it glassware, textiles or fashion. As such, I often drop by the website of Finnish textile legend Marimekko for a bit of a browse. On one such occasion, I stumbled upon an absolutely delightful cocktail recipe in the blog section of the website.

May I present, courtesy of Marimekko: "Maija's Cranberry Bubbly", which has evidently been named in honour of Maija Isola, the designer who first made the company famous half a century ago. It's a relatively simple mix of 1 part vodka, 2 parts cranberry juice, 4 parts champagne, and some frozen berries, but it looks great and is effective.

In keeping with the theme, I mixed my cocktail in this divine apple green glass by renowned Finnish glassware designer iittala. Isn't it just stunning - I brought two of these glasses all the way home from Helsinki to Melbourne! Note that in making the cocktail, I had to replace the cranberries with raspberries because I couldn't find any cranberries at the time.

I think this is a really clever cocktail, particularly because the frozen berries are able to take the place of ice cubes while also adding flavour. If you can't source cranberries, as I said, you can easily replace them with other red berries and it will taste just as wonderful. Just a small tip: I used Yellowglen "Pink" for the champagne part of the drink and most people to whom I've served this cocktail seem to prefer it made with that rather than regular champagne, perhaps because the berry flavours of "Pink" actually enhance the berry goodness of the cocktail. However, your tastes may differ, so I recommend trying both Pink and normal champagne to see which you personally prefer. Either way, with spring well and truly upon us and summer just around the corner, I think this refreshing summery cocktail would be perfect for your next dinner party on the patio :-)

Cocktail recipe HERE. Cheers...or "kippis!", as the Finns would say!

Enjoyed this post? Let's stay in touch:
 


Instagram: @joicejlau

No comments:

Post a Comment